High traffic websites...

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: High traffic websites...
Date: 2005-03-31 20:30:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

I'm sure that a lot of you saw the article on /. a couple days ago about
"PostgreSQL on big sites?", where someone asked for a list of high
traffic websites that are using PostgreSQL on the backend.  Of course
there were a bunch of the standard replies about Afilias Inc and
pointing to the case studies on the PostgreSQL website, but out of all
of the replies I saw only one seemed like it really fit the bill of a
high traffic website (Whitepages.com, if you work for this company
please drop me an email). Now I know of some high traffic (I think they
have high traffic) sites that use PostgreSQL (mobygames, cdbaby), and  I
know that some of the sites using popular PostgreSQL based CMS systems
have good traffic (http://openacs.org/community/sites/,
http://www.bricolage.cc/about/sites/), but this got me wondering and
thinking so I looked up a list of the top 100 high traffic websites
(English only: see th list I used at
http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?ts_mode=lang&lang=en) and started
going through the list: Yahoo...oracle/my$ql, MSNBC...M$,
Google...homegrown, Passport.net....m$, EBay...oracle, M$....M$,
Amazon...Oracle, Fastclick...unknown, AOLAnywhere...Oracle,
Google.uk...homegrown... wow... pretty depressing, although we do come
out on par with db2 (unless fastclick uses them.. oh my) Scrolling down
through the list I really didn't see any sites that I knew that use
PostgreSQL... so I wondered if anyone else could vouch for any that do,
and/or also any other really high traffic sites (lets say more than 100
million page views a day?)  It would be nice to get a list of these
companies into the known world... right now we seem on the short end of
this segment.

--
Robert Treat