Re: Can postgres ever delete the recycled future WAL files to free-up disk space if max_wal_size is reduced or wal_recycle is set to off?

From: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can postgres ever delete the recycled future WAL files to free-up disk space if max_wal_size is reduced or wal_recycle is set to off?
Date: 2022-08-01 22:03:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/13/22 05:35, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> Hi, I'm thinking out loud - can we add all the recycled WAL files to a
> sorted list (oldest recycled WAL file to new recycled WAL file) and
> then during checkpoint, if the max_wal_size is reduced or wal_recycle
> is set to off, then start deleting the future WAL files from the end
> of the sorted list. Upon restart of the server, if required, the
> sorted list of future WAL files can be rebuilt.

(This is registered in CF, but there doesn't seem to be a patch as part
of this thread, so I don't think there's anything to review. I've closed
it out to avoid further triage, but if I've somehow missed a patch feel
free to resurrect it -- and maybe point the patch out in an annotation
or something.)

Thanks,
--Jacob