Does INSERT inserts always at the end ?

From: florence(dot)henry(at)obspm(dot)fr (Florence HENRY)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Does INSERT inserts always at the end ?
Date: 2004-05-19 13:19:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

well, almost everything is in the subject !

I have to fill 2 tables (more complicated than in the example !):

CREATE TABLE A (
id serial primary key,
foo text);

CREATE TABLE B (
id serial references A,
bar text);

I fill A with :
INSERT into A VALUES (DEFAULT, "toto");

Then I need to retreive the "A.id" that was given to A, in order to give it
to B.id. If I was doing this by hand, it would have been quite easy, but I'm
doing this with a script.

So, if I make a SELECT id from A; and take the last row, will it *always*
be the row that I've just inserted.

Thanks for any tip

--
Florence HENRY