Re: Is using cross-version pg_autovacuum possible/safe?

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Peter Haworth <pmh(at)edison(dot)ioppublishing(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is using cross-version pg_autovacuum possible/safe?
Date: 2004-05-19 13:43:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 06:02, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Is it possible/safe to compile the latest version of pg_autovacuum, and use
> it with a 7.2.4 postmaster?
>
> I know the better solution would be to upgrade everything, but that involves
> a lot of work which we've managed to put off for a long time already, and
> autovacuum is pretty much the only feature we really need immediately.

As far as I know, yes. I have tested pg_autovacuum against 7.3.x and
that work fine.

Since pg_autovacuum is just a standard client app that looks at stats
collector info to make decisions about when to vacuum, it should work.
I think there may be been some stats collector bugs that have been fixed
since 7.2.x, but for the most part it should work just fine.

Please post your results as it might be useful to know if it works.

Matthew