Re: Change error code for hstore syntax error

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: Sherrylyn Branchaw <sbranchaw(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Change error code for hstore syntax error
Date: 2016-09-04 23:15:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Sherrylyn,

On 2016-05-09 19:42, Sherrylyn Branchaw wrote:
> I'm attaching a revised patch; please let me know if there are any other
> issues before I submit to the commitfest.

I think this is mostly good, but these two should be changed:

errmsg("unexpected end of string: \"%s\"", state->begin)
errmsg("syntax error at position %d: \"%s\"", ...)

Right now, aside from the error code, these two look like they're
reporting about an error in the SQL statement itself, and not in an
input value for a type. I think they should look more like this:

errmsg("invalid input syntax for type hstore: \"%s\"", string),
errdetail("Unexpected end of input.")

If possible, it might also make sense to provide more information than
"unexpected end of string". For example: what character were you
expecting to find, or what were you scanning? I didn't look too closely
what exactly could be done here. I'll leave that part to you.

.m