Re: pgAdmin3 @1.18.1_1 UI problems

From: Enrico Maria Crisostomo <enrico(dot)m(dot)crisostomo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 @1.18.1_1 UI problems
Date: 2014-08-09 16:42:31
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi All,

Would anybody please confirm whether the misbehaviour of the MacPorts port is due to wxWidgets 3.0 as the port maintainer suggests?

Thank you very much,

--
Enrico Maria Crisostomo

On 8 Jul 2014 at 00:04:18, Enrico Maria Crisostomo (enrico(dot)m(dot)crisostomo(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:

Hi,

I’ve installed pgAdmin3 from MacPorts on an OS X 10.9.4 machine and it has UI issues (e.g.: missing borderless windows’ borders, missing text in “Guru Hints” windows). These problems do not appear when using the pgadmin3 binaries downloaded from the pgadmin website.

I’ve opened a bug report on MacPorts (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44159) and they answered me the following:

The upstream application is bundled with wxWidgets 2.8.0. I'm almost sure that this is the reason for problems. MacPorts links against wxWidgets 3.0 and there is no way to link against 2.8 unless if you are happy to use GTK. If I am right, you should file bug reports upstream, asking for better support for wxWidgets 3.0. There is not much that the macports developers/maintainers can do about it.

(You could try to link pgAdmin from MacPorts against wxWidgets 2.8, but you can only do that if you have wxWidgets 2.8 installed on your mac. wxWidgets 2.8 can only be built from source on 10.6 or earlier or on 10.7 with SDK for 10.6.)

For this reason, I’m asking you to have a look on this one. Do you have any insights or existing evidence of issues with pgadmin and wxWidgets 3.0?

Thank you very much,

--
Enrico Maria Crisostomo