Re: [HACKERS] acl problem in NetBSD/m68k

From: Brian E Gallew <geek+(at)cmu(dot)edu>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] acl problem in NetBSD/m68k
Date: 1999-06-29 14:52:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Then <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> spoke up and said:
> > There are two ways we could attack this: (1) put a "pad" field into
> > struct AclItem (prolly two uint8s) to try to ensure that compilers
> > would think it is 8 bytes long, or (2) make the size field for aclitem
> > in pg_type.h read "sizeof(AclItem)". I think the latter is a better
> > long-term solution, because it eliminates having to try to guess
> > what a compiler will do with a struct declaration. But there are
> > several possible counterarguments:
>
> Currently, initdb runs through pg_type.h using sed/awk, so it can't
> see any of the sizeof() defines. One hokey solution would be to have
> the compile process run a small C program that dumps out the acl size
> into a file, and have initdb pick up that. That is a terrible solution,
> though. I guess we don't have any other 'struct' data types that need
> to know the size of the struct on a give OS. Maybe padding with an
> Assert() to make sure it stays at the fixed size we specify is a good
> solution.

Perhaps it would be easier to pipe the output of cpp on pg_type.h thru
the awk/sed script? This would have the added advantage of making
other system-dependent changes to pg_type.h easier.

| JAVA must have been developed in the wilds of West Virginia. |
| After all, why else would it support only single inheritance?? |
| Finger geek(at)cmu(dot)edu for my public key. |