Re: [HACKERS] Perl library (was Building Postgres)

From: Brian E Gallew <geek+(at)cmu(dot)edu>
To: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Perl library (was Building Postgres)
Date: 1999-06-29 14:49:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Then <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> spoke up and said:

> > It may be swimming upstream in the RPM culture, but it should work
> > and work reliably. *Not* doing the expected configuration on the
> > target machine will be swimming upstream in the Perl culture, and
> > I'll wager that the undertow is a lot more dangerous in that case.
>
> Yup. I'll probably end up trying to package all of the source code
> into the binary rpms, with an install script. But I think my first cut
> will try to force the generated files into the correct place. I've got
> lots of other interfaces to handle, and want to get the rpms out as a
> beta trial asap.

Wouldn't it be better to create a CPAN package and distribute it from
*there*? I realize that this method has the problem that package
updates and PostgreSQL updates could become desynchronized, but I
think this would address the issue adequately.

| JAVA must have been developed in the wilds of West Virginia. |
| After all, why else would it support only single inheritance?? |
| Finger geek(at)cmu(dot)edu for my public key. |