Re: [HACKERS] [WIP] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index.

From: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Юрий Соколов <funny(dot)falcon(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [WIP] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index.
Date: 2020-02-20 15:38:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 19.02.2020 22:16, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 8:14 AM Anastasia Lubennikova
> <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>> Thank you for this work. I've looked through the patches and they seem
>> to be ready for commit.
>> I haven't yet read recent documentation and readme changes, so maybe
>> I'll send some more feedback tomorrow.

The only thing I found is a typo in the comment

+  int      nhtids;      /* Number of heap TIDs in nhtids array */

s/nhtids/htids

I don't think this patch really needs more nitpicking )

>> In my opinion, this message is too specific for default behavior. It
>> exposes internal details without explanation and may look to user like
>> something went wrong.
> You're probably right about that. I just wish that there was some way
> of showing the same information that was discoverable, and didn't
> require the use of pageinspect. If I make it a DEBUG1 message, then it
> cannot really be documented.

User can discover this with a complex query to pg_index and pg_opclass.
To simplify this, we can probably wrap this into function or some field
in pg_indexes.
Anyway, I would wait for feedback from pre-release testers.