Re: Built-in connection pooling

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in connection pooling
Date: 2018-01-19 17:03:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/19/2018 05:53 PM, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

> On 19.01.2018 19:28, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>

>> When I've been thinking about adding a built-in connection
>> pool, my
>> rough plan was mostly "bgworker doing something like
>> pgbouncer" (that
>> is, listening on a separate port and proxying everything to
>> regular
>> backends). Obviously, that has pros and cons, and probably
>> would not
>> work serve the threading use case well.
>>

>> And we will get the same problem as with pgbouncer: one process
>> will not be able to handle all connections...
>> Certainly it is possible to start several such scheduling
>> bgworkers... But in any case it is more efficient to multiplex
>> session in backend themselves.
>>

>> pgbouncer hold all time client connect. When we implement the
>> listeners, then all work can be done by worker processes not by listeners.
>>

> Sorry, I do not understand your point.
> In my case pgbench establish connection to the pgbouncer only  once at
> the beginning of the test.
> And pgbouncer spends all time in context switches (CPU usage is 100% and
> it is mostly in kernel space: top of profile are kernel functions).
> The same picture will be if instead of pgbouncer you will do such
> scheduling in one bgworker.
> For the modern systems are not able to perform more than several
> hundreds of connection switches per second.
> So with single multiplexing thread or process you can not get speed more
> than 100k, while at powerful NUMA system it is possible to achieve
> millions of TPS.
> It is illustrated by the results I have sent in the previous mail: by
> spawning 10 instances of pgbouncer I was able to receive 7 times bigger
> speed.

AFAICS making pgbouncer multi-threaded would not be hugely complicated.
A simple solution would be a fixed number of worker threads, and client
connections randomly assigned to them.

But this generally is not a common bottleneck in practical workloads (of
course, YMMV).

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com