Re: Built-in connection pooling

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in connection pooling
Date: 2018-01-19 16:53:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 19.01.2018 19:28, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> When I've been thinking about adding a built-in connection
> pool, my
> rough plan was mostly "bgworker doing something like
> pgbouncer" (that
> is, listening on a separate port and proxying everything to
> regular
> backends). Obviously, that has pros and cons, and probably
> would not
> work serve the threading use case well.
>

> And we will get the same problem as with pgbouncer: one process
> will not be able to handle all connections...
> Certainly it is possible to start several such scheduling
> bgworkers... But in any case it is more efficient to multiplex
> session in backend themselves.
>

> pgbouncer hold all time client connect. When we implement the
> listeners, then all work can be done by worker processes not by listeners.

Sorry, I do not understand your point.
In my case pgbench establish connection to the pgbouncer only  once at
the beginning of the test.
And pgbouncer spends all time in context switches (CPU usage is 100% and
it is mostly in kernel space: top of profile are kernel functions).
The same picture will be if instead of pgbouncer you will do such
scheduling in one bgworker.
For the modern systems are not able to perform more than several
hundreds of connection switches per second.
So with single multiplexing thread or process you can not get speed more
than 100k, while at powerful NUMA system it is possible to achieve
millions of TPS.
It is illustrated by the results I have sent in the previous mail: by
spawning 10 instances of pgbouncer I was able to receive 7 times bigger
speed.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company