Re: WIP Patch: Precalculate stable functions, infrastructure v1

From: Marina Polyakova <m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: WIP Patch: Precalculate stable functions, infrastructure v1
Date: 2018-01-25 08:39:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello!

On 24-01-2018 23:36, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2018-01-24 15:10:56 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Keeping the stored value of a CachedExpr in a Param slot is an
>> interesting idea indeed.
>
> We keep coming back to this, IIRC we had a pretty similar discussion
> around redesigning caseValue_datum/isNull domainValue_datum/isNull to
> be
> less ugly. There also was
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20171116182208.kcvf75nfaldv36uh@alap3.anarazel.de
> where we discussed using something similar to PARAM_EXEC Param nodes to
> allow inlining of volatile functions.
>
> ISTM, there might be some value to consider all of them in the design
> of
> the new mechanism.

Thank you both very much for this discussion and for the link on that
thread! Now I'm working on the patch, thanks to Tom Lane's comments
earlier [1], and I'll try to implement something of this..

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/403e0ae329c6868b3f3467eac92cc04d%40postgrespro.ru

--
Marina Polyakova