Re: Re: PATCH: pageinspect / add page_checksum and bt_page_items(bytea)

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: PATCH: pageinspect / add page_checksum and bt_page_items(bytea)
Date: 2017-04-04 13:53:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/4/17 9:43 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 9:32 AM, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
>> My goal is to help people focus on patches that have a chance. At this
>> point I think that includes poking authors who are not being responsive
>> using the limited means at my disposal.
>
> +1. Pings on specific threads can help clear things up when, for
> example, the author and reviewer are each waiting for the other. And,
> as you say, they also help avoid the situation where a patch just
> falls off the radar and misses the release for no especially good
> reason, which naturally causes people frustration.
>
> I think your pings have been quite helpful, although I think it would
> have been better in some cases if you'd done them sooner. Pinging
> after a week, with a 3 day deadline, when there are only a few days
> left in the CommitFest isn't really leaving a lot of room to maneuver.

Thanks for the feedback! My thinking is that I don't want to bug people
too soon, but there's a maximum number of days a thread should be idle.
Over the course of the CF that has gone from 10 days, to 7, 5, and 3.

I don't look at all patches every day so it can be a bit uneven, i.e.,
all patches are allowed certain amount of idle time, but some may get a
bit more depending on when I check up on them.

Thanks,
--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net