Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks

From: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, "peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com" <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks
Date: 2022-08-02 21:48:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[CFM hat] Okay, either way you look at it, this patchset needs author
work before any further review can be done. Peter has given some
additional feedback on next steps, Stephen has asked for clarification
on the goals of the patchset, etc. I feel pretty confident in marking
this Returned with Feedback.

[dev hat] That said, I plan to do some additional dev work on top of
this over the next couple of months. The ideal case would be to provide
a server-only extension that provides additional features to existing
clients in the wild (i.e. no client-side changes).

I'm also interested in plugging an existing 3rd-party SASL library into
the client, which would help extensibility on that side.

--Jacob