Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks

From: samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com" <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks
Date: 2022-08-02 22:05:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Jacob,

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 2:48 PM Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
wrote:

> [CFM hat] Okay, either way you look at it, this patchset needs author
> work before any further review can be done. Peter has given some
> additional feedback on next steps, Stephen has asked for clarification
> on the goals of the patchset, etc. I feel pretty confident in marking
> this Returned with Feedback.

That makes sense. I just got back to working on this patch and am aiming to
get this ready for the next commitfest. I plan to address the feedback by
Peter and Jeff and come up with a use case to help clarify the goals to
better answer Stephen's questions.

> [dev hat] That said, I plan to do some additional dev work on top of
> this over the next couple of months. The ideal case would be to provide
> a server-only extension that provides additional features to existing
> clients in the wild (i.e. no client-side changes).
>
> I'm also interested in plugging an existing 3rd-party SASL library into
> the client, which would help extensibility on that side.

That would be interesting.

Regards,
Samay