serial sequences not automatically dropped

From: mcornell(at)spamcop(dot)net (mcornell)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: serial sequences not automatically dropped
Date: 2001-12-07 18:44:55
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Folks,

We're new to postgres and using it on Linux and OS X. We've had to
change our code to work around what looks like a bug: When a table
that contains a SERIAL column is dropped, the corresponding sequence
for that column is *not* dropped. This is a pain, because we are
trying to support multiple RDBMSs, and only postgres requires this. It
seems like it should be keeping track of which columns are serial and
drop them when the table is dropped. Please tell us: Any plans to
address this in the near future? Thanks!

matt
mcornell(at)spamcop(dot)net