Variable Length Binary String (not large)

From: jnichols(at)traxsis(dot)com (Jonathan Nichols)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Variable Length Binary String (not large)
Date: 2001-12-07 21:14:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

Can anyone recommend to me the best way to store a variable length
binary string, that isn't larger than the 8192 byte limit for
non-large objects?? It seems to me that using BLOBs might be overkill
with too much complexity. However, there doesn't seem to be a binary
string type in postgres that is meant for small binary strings. I
have tried to use normal character strings, but it gets screwed up
because of non-printable characters. Any suggestions??

thanks,

jon