Re: Dumping/restoring fails on inherited generated column

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dumping/restoring fails on inherited generated column
Date: 2020-11-09 10:43:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-11-06 04:55, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>> Both of these result in the same change to the dump output. Both of
>> them have essentially the same idea. The first one adds the
>> conditionals during the information gathering phase of pg_dump, the
>> second one adds the conditionals during the output phase.
>>
>> Any further thoughts?
> I think the first one is better than the second (mine) because it can
> save the number of intermediate objects.

I was hoping to wrap this issue up this week, but I found more problems
with how these proposed changes interact with --binary-upgrade mode. I
think I need to formalize my findings into pg_dump test cases as a next
step. Then we can figure out what combination of tweaks will make them
all work.

--
Peter Eisentraut
2ndQuadrant, an EDB company