Re: Dumping/restoring fails on inherited generated column

From: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dumping/restoring fails on inherited generated column
Date: 2020-11-30 15:37:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09.11.2020 13:43, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2020-11-06 04:55, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>>> Both of these result in the same change to the dump output.  Both of
>>> them have essentially the same idea.  The first one adds the
>>> conditionals during the information gathering phase of pg_dump, the
>>> second one adds the conditionals during the output phase.
>>>
>>> Any further thoughts?
>> I think the first one is better than the second (mine) because it can
>> save the number of intermediate objects.
>
> I was hoping to wrap this issue up this week, but I found more
> problems with how these proposed changes interact with
> --binary-upgrade mode.  I think I need to formalize my findings into
> pg_dump test cases as a next step.  Then we can figure out what
> combination of tweaks will make them all work.

I am moving this patch to the next CF, but it looks like the discussion
is a bit stuck.

Peter, can you please share your concerns about the interaction of the
patch with --binary-upgrade mode? If you don't have time to write tests,
you can just describe problems.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company