Re: Doc patch: add RECURSIVE to bookindex

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Fabien COELHO" <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Developers" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc patch: add RECURSIVE to bookindex
Date: 2018-07-31 14:17:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Why referencing only create_view, but not delete, insert, update, select
> or select_into where RECURSIVE is also used?
>
> ISTM that at least the select page should be referenced, I'm less sure of
> the others because there it appears only in the synopsys.

Looking at other occurrences of <indexterm>, it seems
they're used quite sparingly, limiting the references to only
the pages that have the most relevant explanation for the term,
as opposed to trying to be exhaustive.

For instance, select.sgml has only three <indexterm>, and
the entries for WHERE or JOIN don't even refer to it.
ISTM that it's on purpose, to keep the index lean, and it works.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite