Re: Interval aggregate regression failure (expected seems

From: Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>, Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interval aggregate regression failure (expected seems
Date: 2005-11-07 20:07:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On 07 Nov 2005 14:22:37 -0500, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> IIRC, floating point registers are actually longer than a double so if the
> entire calculation is done in registers and then the result rounded off to
> store in memory it may get the right answer. Whereas if it loses the extra
> bits on the intermediate values (the infinite repeating fractions) that might
> be where you get the imprecise results.

Hm. I thought -march=pentium4 -mcpu=pentium4 implies -mfpmath=sse.
SSE is a much better choice on P4 for performance reasons, and never
has excess precision. I'm guessing from the above that I'm incorrect,
in which case we should always be compiled with -mfpmath=sse -msse2
when we are complied -march=pentium4, this should remove problems
caused by excess precision. The same behavior can be had on non sse
platforms with -ffloat-store.