Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns

From: Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Oh, Mike" <minsoo(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns
Date: 2021-10-12 22:55:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/10/21 23:27, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

> After more thought, given DDLs are not likely to happen than DML in
> practice, ...

I haven't looked closely at the patch, but I'd be careful about
workloads where people create and drop "temporary tables". I've seen
this pattern used a few times, especially by developers who came from a
SQL server background, for some reason.

I certainly don't think we need to optimize for this workload - which is
not a best practice on PostreSQL. I'd just want to be careful not to
make PostgreSQL logical replication crumble underneath it, if PG was
previously keeping up with difficulty. That would be a sad upgrade
experience!

-Jeremy

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider