Re: popcount

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: popcount
Date: 2021-01-18 09:24:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-01-11 17:13, David Fetter wrote:
>>> It does now, and thanks for looking at this.
>>
>> The documentation still reflects the previous int4 return type (in two
>> different spellings, too).
>
> Thanks for looking this over!
>
> Please find attached the next version with corrected documentation.

The documentation entries should be placed in alphabetical order in
their respective tables.

For the bytea function, maybe choose a simpler example that a reader can
compute in their head. Also for the test cases.

In varbit.c:

The comment says

+ * Returns the number of bits set in a bit array.

but it should be "bit string".

+ int8 popcount;

should be int64.

Also, pg_popcount() returns uint64, not int64. Perhaps overflow is not
possible here, but perhaps a small comment about why or an assertion
could be appropriate.

+ p = VARBITS(arg1);

Why not assign that in the declaration block as well?

This comment:

+ /*
+ * ceil(VARBITLEN(ARG1)/BITS_PER_BYTE)
+ * done to minimize branches and instructions.
+ */

I don't know what that is supposed to mean or why that kind of tuning
would be necessary for a user-callable function.

+ popcount = pg_popcount((const char *)p, len);

The "const" is probably not necessary.

byteapopcount() looks better, but also needs int8 -> int64.