Re: [DOCS] Russian PostgreSQL community site

From: "Nikolay Samokhvalov" <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Виктор Вислобоков <corochoone(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Advocacy List" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Russian PostgreSQL community site
Date: 2008-08-26 08:35:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs

Victor, please use proper list for discussing advocacy issues:
pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Виктор Вислобоков
<corochoone(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello Nikolay.
>
>> if one cannot find any "community site", this does not mean that
>> community does not exist or not working.
> It is true, but read below.
>
>> Starting from 2007, here in Russia the solid group of PostgreSQL
> Nikolay, it is really interesting, but where is group's site?
> Where is group's forum?

Currently most of us use forum at sql.ru to discuss technical
questions. Check it out, it has a good bunch of questions and answers.
Our colleagues also visit it from time to time.

> What are problems solving the group at this moment?

Promoting PostgreSQL in Russian-speaking world, experience sharing,
etc -- anything that similar group of people and companies do in other
contries.

> I have no such info.
> Try to search "PostgreSQL документация" at Yandex or Google.
> Go to http://www.postgresql.org/community/international
> There are you? I don't see. Many and many people didn't see too.

This is well-known problem, and unfortunately it's not really easy to
solve. I assume that you know that currently only French and Japanese
translation exist (for 8.3.x I mean) and it's really great work.
Recently we started a public project for making Russian translation:
http://translated.by/you/postgresql-8-3-3-documentation-iii-server-administration/trans/
Please feel free to participate (translated.by is good platform for
crowd-sourcing, so maybe we will be able to translate Postgres docs
together).

BTW, lack of _good_ and _up-to-date_ Russian translation for the
project is the common problem that most OSS are subjected to.
(including MySQL and PHP). I personally think that we'd better have
only major parts of PostgreSQL Docs and some tutorials in Russian,
because if one needs advanced stuff it's most likely that he already
knows English.

I understand your feelings. We all will win only if we cooperate and
properly coordinate our efforts.

>> Currently, you can find some information here:
>> http://postgresmen.ru (alternatively, you can try to search on such
>> sites as opennet.ru, linux.org.ru, etc).
> Postgresmen site is a commercial company site for business not for community.

It will be so in the future, but currently it is de facto the source
of PostgreSQL-in-Russia news and the place where PostgreSQL-reated
talk slides, articles, etc can be found.

> linux.org.ru is news site with stupid threads about this news
> opennet.ru is a good cooking book with good search, but nothing more
>
>> The community site is under
>> construction still, and surely this is an issue, but it doesn't stop
> Under construction starting from 2007? :) It is great!

From Spring 2008, actually. Yes, not fast, but you know people like
having some rest during Summer -- so we've paused our community
meetings and plan to continue with September meeting (using FTS will
be the main topic of our meeting, but it may be changed, it will be
announced as usual a week or so before the event), and October meeting
(with special foreign guests, keep in touch and don't miss it ;-) ).

BTW, as I've said we have several participants from St. Peterburg --
and It'd be really great to organize a meeting there, can you help
with this? (let's discuss it privately if you can)

>> people from different organizations to work on promoting PostgreSQL in
>> Russia, to communicate and to work together.
> Yes, it's true. But in my mind, this communication into little closed world.
> I appreciate efforts of Russian PostgreSQL developers, but with great
> disappointment I see that Russian PostgreSQL community is greatly inferior to
> MySQL community and many other. We have no Russian manual, we have
> no well-known community site, we have no big well-known forum etc.

I still do not understand why you think that community = manual.

The lack of community site is well-known issue and I hope we will
solve this soon. Again, I suggest to cooperate and work together. You
can help.

>> I suggest you to cooperate, let's discuss how to organize our efforts
>> in Russian mailing list or privately.
> Nikolay, how many times we'll be talking? May be, we must already DO
> something in this direction? I MADE first steps. What you answer?

Conference talks, tutorial and overview articles, real-world
communication, discussions with major developers and worldwide
community members -- all this are already good steps.

I hope we will continue developing and solve our problems (community
site is #1 by priority I think, as for docs, it's open question, let's
discuss).

Thank you for rising these questions. Nevertheless, I suggest to move
discussion in Russian-speaking area.

BTW, you can find PDFs with some slides and articles in mydocs at
scribd.com: http://www.scribd.com/people/view/2396615-nikolay-samokhvalov.
Also, we have video from several conferences and community meetings
that we hope to publish soon.

--
Best regards,
Nikolay Samokhvalov