Re: [SoC] Relation between project "XML improvements" and "pgxml"

From: "Nikolay Samokhvalov" <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Robert Staudinger" <robert(dot)staudinger(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SoC] Relation between project "XML improvements" and "pgxml"
Date: 2006-05-03 22:00:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Actually, project mentioned on Oleg's page is only in plan.

I see some gap between current moment and the moment when GiST will
come to power for XML support - check out my proposal
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-05/msg00044.php),
the 'minumum' list is that gap. When we will have some basic support
(ideally, according SQL:200n SQL/XML standard and based on experience
taken from commercial DBMSes), we would work on index support (w/o
which this project definitely won't be applicable to production
purposes) - first of all, path indexes and structure indexes. This
includes some labeling schema (probably prefix schema, see
http://davis.wpi.edu/dsrg/vamana/WebPages/Publication.html or papers
about MS' ORDPATHs). GiST and Gis will definitely help here a lot.

--
Best regards,
Nikolay