Re: Postgres 8.2 Memory Tuning

From: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
To: CM J <postgres(dot)newbie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 8.2 Memory Tuning
Date: 2009-06-15 12:07:11
Lists: pgsql-general

CMJ,

same system.Even under moderate load in my application, each of the postgres
> process occupies some 25 MB memory leading to total postgres memory usage of
> 500+ MB. Now, how do i limit the memory used by each

how did you measure those 25MB and those 500+MB MEMORY usage?

I guess you are running windows task manager and looking into the default
memory column. That is adress space used, rather then memory used. So
Postgres is using 500MB of adress space; share_memory of those processes is
accounted for every process.

Look within additional columns of taskmanager to find the one giving the
private memory of the process.

Especially on windows you should update to the latest 8.3.x PostgreSQL.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare