Re: URGENT: Whole DB down ("no space left on device")

From: "Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Zoltan Boszormenyi" <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: "Postgres General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: URGENT: Whole DB down ("no space left on device")
Date: 2007-08-31 13:35:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On 31/08/2007, Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
> Phoenix Kiula írta:
> > I am getting this message when I start the DB:
> >

> > psql: FATAL: could not access status of transaction 0
> > DETAIL: Could not write to file "pg_subtrans/01F8" at offset 221184:
> > No space left on device.
> >

> > What is this about and how do I solve this? A "df -h" on my system shows this:
> >

> > Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda2 ext3 9.9G 9.5G 0 100% /var
> >

> This is the problem. Free up some space under /var or move either
> the whole partition or PostgreSQL's data directory to a new disk.
> The data directory lives under /var/lib/postgresql (mainstream) or
> /var/lib/pgsql (RedHat speciality).

Thanks everyone. Yes, /var was full because of the backups that're going there.

Database is back working.

It was my backup script. It is set to save a daily backup to the /var/
folder, which is not clever. I'll change it to be in the "backup"
folder which is a mounted one.

On that note, is it recommended to store the data of the database on a
different hard disk than the one on which the database is running? How
can I change the data folder for a live database?

Many thanks!