Re: URGENT: Whole DB down ("no space left on device")

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Zoltan Boszormenyi" <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "Postgres General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: URGENT: Whole DB down ("no space left on device")
Date: 2007-08-31 15:53:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Aug 31, 2007, at 8:35 AM, Phoenix Kiula wrote:

> Thanks everyone. Yes, /var was full because of the backups that're
> going there.
>
> Database is back working.
>
> It was my backup script. It is set to save a daily backup to the /var/
> folder, which is not clever. I'll change it to be in the "backup"
> folder which is a mounted one.
>
> On that note, is it recommended to store the data of the database on a
> different hard disk than the one on which the database is running? How
> can I change the data folder for a live database?
>
> Many thanks!

The data directory is where the database is "running". If you're
referring to where the postgres binaries are, it doesn't matter as
they are loaded into memory when the server starts. As far as moving
the data directory goes, you can't move it for a running database.
All of the options to move a server's data directory involve, at some
point, shutting down the db. Alternatively, if you're running out of
space on the disk currently holding the data, you can add another
drive in a new tablespace.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com