Date with time zone

From: Eduardo Piombino <drakorg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Date with time zone
Date: 2009-11-28 11:43:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello list, this is my first msg here. I hope this is the correct place for
this subject, I couldn't find any more specific list for this.

This thought had been bugging me for some time now and I thought it was time
to share it with you pg gurus.

Why in god's sake is there not a "date with time zone" data type?
I mean, in the same manner that every country does not have the same time
(due to the time zone they are in), they also don't have to be in the same
day (for the same reason). Maybe it's January 10th in one place, and January
11st a couple of time zones ahead.

So, in the same way that a simple "time" data type is not enough for precise
time specification on multi time zone setups, a simple "date" data type is
also not enough for a precise date specification in those setups.

Of course you can always set another column, specifying that that "date"
actually corresponds to a specific timezone, but in the same manner that u
dont need an extra column for time values (cause u have the "time with time
zone"), you shouldn't be needing to create another one to host the time zone
for the date.

I don't know, am I crazy?
Thanks a lot.

Eduardo.