Re: Setting shmmax in /etc/rc on Mac OS X to install Postgres

From: Doug Graham <duggram(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)sheeky(dot)biz>, PostgreSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Setting shmmax in /etc/rc on Mac OS X to install Postgres
Date: 2009-07-03 21:59:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

Shane and Tom, you guys nailed it. Although I did have another problem.

I went with Shane's 1610612736 recommendation. However, I suspected all was
not well with my file. I had saved it with Edit. Found a vi guide, opened
it with vi, cleaned out all the extra header garbage, chaned shhmax and save
it. Shut the mac down and restarted. Postres started right up.

Now I have also uncovered another problem, how do you get rid of a
sysctl.conf.swp file? Couldn't get that done in vi. But I can even see
reference to it outside of vi. If you don't have time to tell me I'll
research deleting a swp file when I get done setting up my postgres.

Thank you all,
Doug