Re: Setting shmmax in /etc/rc on Mac OS X to install Postgres

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Doug Graham <duggram(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Setting shmmax in /etc/rc on Mac OS X to install Postgres
Date: 2009-07-04 15:13:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

Doug Graham wrote:
> Shane and Tom, you guys nailed it. Although I did have another problem.
>
> I went with Shane's 1610612736 recommendation. However, I suspected all was
> not well with my file. I had saved it with Edit. Found a vi guide, opened
> it with vi, cleaned out all the extra header garbage, chaned shhmax and save
> it. Shut the mac down and restarted. Postres started right up.

Didn't think of non-plain text.. If you do use TextEdit again in the
Format menu select Make Plain Text. This is only an issue when you
create a new file - if you open an existing one it will retain the
format previously saved.

> Now I have also uncovered another problem, how do you get rid of a
> sysctl.conf.swp file? Couldn't get that done in vi. But I can even see
> reference to it outside of vi. If you don't have time to tell me I'll
> research deleting a swp file when I get done setting up my postgres.

Not certain but I believe that is the vi temporary file. Maybe the rtf
codes messed it's cleanup. Or it had not exited cleanly. If your sure
your not editing the file then delete it.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz