Re: API stability [was: pgsql: Fix possible recovery trouble if TRUNCATE overlaps a checkpoint.]

From: Markus Wanner <markus(dot)wanner(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: API stability [was: pgsql: Fix possible recovery trouble if TRUNCATE overlaps a checkpoint.]
Date: 2022-04-11 19:45:59
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2022-04-11 at 15:21 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> ... before v13, the commit in question actually
> changed the size of PGXACT, which is really quite bad -- it needs to
> be 12 bytes for performance reasons. And there's no spare bytes
> available, so I think we should follow one of the suggestions that he
> had over in that email thread, and put delayChkptEnd in PGPROC even
> though delayChkpt is in PGXACT.

This makes sense to me. Kudos to Kyotaro for considering this.

At first read, this sounded like a trade-off between compatibility and
performance for PG 12 and older. But I realize leaving delayChkpt in
PGXACT and adding just delayChkptEnd to PGPROC is compatible and leaves
PGXACT at a size of 12 bytes. So this sounds like a good approach to
me.

Best Regards

Markus