Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: david(at)lang(dot)hm, Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>, Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Date: 2010-03-03 01:17:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> We've had REAL good luck with the WD green and black drives.  Out of
>> about 35 or so drives we've had two failures in the last year, one of
>> each black and green.
>
> I've been happy with almost all the WD Blue drives around here (have about a
> dozen in service for around two years), with the sole exception that the one
> drive I did have go bad has turned into a terrible liar.  Refuses to either
> acknowledge it's broken and produce an RMA code, or to work.  At least the
> Seagate and Hitachi drives are honest about being borked when once they've
> started producing heavy SMART errors.  I have enough redundancy to deal with
> failure, but can't tolerate dishonesty one bit.

Time to do the ESD shuffle I think.

>> The Seagate SATA drives have been horrific for
>> us, with a 30% failure rate in the last 8 or so months.  We only have
>> something like 10 of the Seagates, so the sample's not as big as the
>> WDs.    Note that we only use the supposed "enterprise" class drives
>> from each manufacturer.
>>
>> We just got a shipment of 8 1.5TB Seagates so I'll keep you informed
>> of the failure rate of those drives.  Wouldn't be surprised to see 1
>> or 2 die in the first few months tho.
>>

> Good luck with those--the consumer version of Seagate's 1.5TB drives have
> been perhaps the worst single drive model on the market over the last year.
>  Something got seriously misplaced when they switched their manufacturing
> facility from Singapore to Thailand a few years ago, and now that the old
> plant is gone:
>  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/04/seagate_closing_singapore_plant/ I
> don't expect them to ever recover from that.

Yeah, I've got someone upstream in my chain of command who's a huge
fan of seacrates, so that's how we got those 1.5TB drives. Our 15k5
seagates have been great, with 2 failures in 32 drives in 1.5 years of
very heavy use. All our seagate SATAs, whether 500G or 2TB have been
the problem children. I've pretty much given up on Seagate SATA
drives. The new seagates we got are the consumer 7200.11 drives, but
at least they have the latest firmware and all.