Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Ang Chin Han" <ang(dot)chin(dot)han(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?
Date: 2008-10-15 00:00:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> Note this comment:
>> /*
>> * Queries sent to Drupal should wrap all table names in curly brackets.
>> This
>> * function searches for this syntax and adds Drupal's table prefix to all
>> * tables, allowing Drupal to coexist with other systems in the same
>> database if
>> * necessary.
>> */
>> That's an MySQL-ism for working around legacy hosting sites offering
>> only a single MySQL db bogging postgresql down...
>
> No it's not. It's about being able to use a single db for multiple app's.
> Either I do something like that, or I have to [hardcode] change schemas
> after each connection because I only have a single db & a single db user..
> which postgres/oracle[I'm sure others] support but not mysql.

Are you saying you have to reconnect to change schemas? In Oracle and
PostgreSQL both you can change the current schema (or schemas for
postgresql) with a single inline command.

Also, Oracle and PostgreSQL support differing default schemas for
individual users, so you can have connections pooled by user to go to
a certain schema.

> Shared hosts don't give you a lot of resources, so apps build stuff like
> that in to make it easier.

Schemas cost virtually nothing.