Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?

From: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?
Date: 2008-10-15 00:15:34
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

> Are you saying you have to reconnect to change schemas? In Oracle and
> PostgreSQL both you can change the current schema (or schemas for
> postgresql) with a single inline command.

No I meant you have to change the schema after connecting.

Some hosts only give you one db & one user. Yeh it sucks but that's all
they give you.

Before anyone says "get a new host".. from the end user POV.. you don't
know and/or don't care about the technical details, you just want
something "that works" with what you have. It's not an ideal situation
to be in but it definitely does happen.

>> Shared hosts don't give you a lot of resources, so apps build stuff like
>> that in to make it easier.
>
> Schemas cost virtually nothing.

Neither does building a smart(er) app which lets you set a "prefix" for
all of your tables so they are grouped together.

You'll get a tiny performance hit from doing the replacement of the
prefix, but it's not going to be significant compared to everything else.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/