Re: Pls Hlp: SQL Problem

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Fernando Hevia" <fhevia(at)ip-tel(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: "Hengky Lie" <hengkyliwandouw(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pls Hlp: SQL Problem
Date: 2008-09-15 20:18:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Fernando Hevia <fhevia(at)ip-tel(dot)com(dot)ar> wrote:

> [...]

yeah, I agree. In the days of 7.2 it was horrifically slow (like 10
to 20 times slower most the time) to do numeric math on similar sized
numbers as int math.

Note that if you are working with numbers of 500 digits it's gonna be
a lot slower than numbers with 10 digits, but if the numbers are
similar in size, numeric has had a lot of optimization that makes it
quite usable now. which is handy when porting from oracle, where
everything is a sort-of numeric.