Re: Pls Hlp: SQL Problem

From: "Fernando Hevia" <fhevia(at)ip-tel(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: "'Scott Marlowe'" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "'Hengky Lie'" <hengkyliwandouw(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'pgsql-sql'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pls Hlp: SQL Problem
Date: 2008-09-15 20:14:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

Well, in that case the manual should be revised.

8.1.2. Arbitrary Precision Numbers

The type numeric can store numbers with up to 1000 digits of precision and
perform calculations exactly. It is especially recommended for storing
monetary amounts and other quantities where exactness is required. However,
arithmetic on numeric values is __very slow__ compared to the integer types,
or to the floating-point types described in the next section.

Ref: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-numeric.html

The explicit "very slow" assertion scared me quite enough so to avoid
numeric types where possible.

Regards,
Fernando.