Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Swaminathan Saikumar" <swami(at)giveexam(dot)com>
Cc: "Jorge Godoy" <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Pettis, Barry" <Barry(dot)Pettis(at)atmel(dot)com>, "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database
Date: 2008-03-28 15:37:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:29 PM, Swaminathan Saikumar
<swami(at)giveexam(dot)com> wrote:
> I am fairly new to Postgres. However, I have to say that I agree with
> Barry's comments.

The real problem here is that you are not using the db properly. You
should have one db with all these data in it in different schemas.
PostgreSQL provides you with the ability to segregate these data via
schemas and fine grained (by the table) ACLs.

Your refusal to use multiple schemas in one database due to some
perceived problem with them all being in the same database is what's
causing your issues.

Put your data into various schemas in one database and you can then
use access control to decide who sees what.