Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database

From: "Swaminathan Saikumar" <swami(at)giveexam(dot)com>
To: "Jorge Godoy" <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Pettis, Barry" <Barry(dot)Pettis(at)atmel(dot)com>, "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database
Date: 2008-03-28 05:29:37
Lists: pgsql-general

I am fairly new to Postgres. However, I have to say that I agree with
Barry's comments.
The community's response is technically valid; they do talk about a better
way of 'designing' things, and what the company 'should' be doing.
However, coming from a MS-Sql world, people want multiple databases for
different reasons. Sometimes, they are in different departments, and they
keep their own databases, as in Barry's example. Sometimes, a billing
database is behind a firewall for security.
There are multiple ways to do the consolidation, by copying over data to a
common database with multiple schemas. However, the core question of Barry's
has not been answered.

1. There is a feature for cross-linking databases
2. That feature is available as an add-on
3. That feature is very useful for a lot of users, who are not as
knowledgeable as the PgSql community, and who are used to doing that for
other databases
4. Why not provide that feature as a core feature, rather than an add-on? If
the community really feels strongly about this, discourage this practice
with a best-practices section, citing problems with examples, and
workarounds. But why don't you provide this feature out of the box? After
all, isn't widespread adoption of a high quality database like Postgres our
overall goal?