Re: Bouncing replies [was: SQL standards in Mysql]

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bouncing replies [was: SQL standards in Mysql]
Date: 2008-02-26 00:42:40
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)
> <postgresql(at)ultimeth(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On 2008-02-22 21:34, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> >
> > Bouncing messages from a public list is kinda rude.
> >
> > No more so, than sending two copies of your reply to me, because you don't
> > go up to your mailer's "To:" line and manually delete the extra address (as
> > I do on EVERY reply I send to this list).

This is to Dean.

I'm not editing my to: line on every single post. I'll hit reply to
all. This list is designed to have it work that way, so that if the
mailing list is running slow, the people participating in the
discussion can keep up with it and if you're having problems now you
don't have to wait 8 hours for the mailing list machine to get
restarted or whatever it takes to make it behave sometimes. Also,
every email client I've used in the last 5 years is smart enough to
take the same message from two sources (i.e. the list / and the
sender) and notice they're the same and NOT show them twice. It's not
rocket science, and it's not uncommon, and it's not hard. If your
client doesn't have that ability, I'd have to wonder what you're
using. I think even pine can do this.

It's just as easy to have your email program simply take anything that
comes into it and toss it into the garbage and ignore it than to send
a bounce message that uses up resources and bandwidth saying you don't
want email from the people on the list, just the list. Especially
since the way THIS list works, by generally accepted standards, is to
hit reply to all.

You'll notice I didn't answer you earlier. That's because you (Dean)
have been put on my ignore list so I don't accidentally reply to you
when you post, since it's the simplest and easiest way to stop getting
bounce messages from you. Note this means I will miss your response,
so don't bother sending one from your current email address to me, or
to me through the list. You completely ignored my first post about
this, and I really don't feel like having a complex involved
conversation on basic email courtesy. Just one simple change in your
software and voila it drops the dups instead of sending bounce
messages.

Good day.