Re: Case studies

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Elvis Henríquez <henriquez(dot)elvis(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Case studies
Date: 2007-11-27 06:12:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Nov 26, 2007 9:34 PM, Elvis Henríquez <henriquez(dot)elvis(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> Rather than asking for a technical detail or writing about a problem,
> I'm asking for up-to-date case studies involving PostgreSQL.
>
> The company where I'm actually working is migrating some apps; one
> requires a Data Warehouse, and I'm proposing PostgreSQL, but they're
> thinking of Oracle, as the system has one table (among others) with 20
> fields and more then 19 millions of records, and this exists for 2
> subcompanies, which are actually in different databases, but the
> migration project implies joining the two subcompanies data.
>
> This amount of data is the result of 8 years of usage, and the data
> growing rate has increased in the last two years.

That's actually pretty small. Where I work we have a data warehouse
of similar design (a few large tables, a few small lookup tables). It
has 86,840,447 rows and takes up 44 Gigs of space. It sits on a
single CPU box with a 4 disk RAID-10 and runs queries covering a few
minutes to a few days worth of monitoring data. Sequential scanning
the whole main table takes 621 seconds or so (10+ minutes). We add
150 to 200k rows a day to it.

Selecting a days's worth of data takes ~ 350ms. A week's worth takes
2 to 10 seconds depending on how much is cached.

This is a small database for either oracle or postgresql. Talk your
bosses into giving postgresql a try if you can. You should be able to
build a 20million test database in an afternoon or so, so it's not
like you'll be dedicating thousands of man hours to test it.