Re: Intermittent Empty return

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "John Mulkerin" <jmulkerin(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Intermittent Empty return
Date: 2007-09-22 23:14:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 9/22/07, John Mulkerin <jmulkerin(at)comcast(dot)net> wrote:
> I agree its old. I'm working on the upgrade but first need to verify
> and then purge some data.
>
> I tried with and without a semicolon
>
> However, with a semicolon results in
>
> Just tried semicolon again.. First time resulted in results. Second
> time resulted in
> select * from survey_results;
> ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "select" at character 30.
> Maybe another reason I need to upgrade?

That's because what it's doing it running this:
select * from table select * from table;

i.e. it's seeing the first one you typed without the semicolon then
second one too.

You'll notice the prompt looks like this;

dbname => select * from table
dbname -> select * from table;

notice the -> That means there's already something in the buffer.

\r resets the buffer. Just try it with ONLY the semicolon and it'll work.

and yeah, get to work on that upgrade... :)