Re: pgsql: Provide a TLS init hook

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Provide a TLS init hook
Date: 2020-03-27 10:53:11
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

[discussion from -committers]

On 3/26/20 4:31 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>>> Why? The other src/test/modules/ modules with TAP tests do not
>>> specify that, with the exception of commit_ts which has a solid
>>> doesnt-work-in-the-default-configuration excuse.
>> That seems wrong, installcheck should be testing against an installed
>> instance, and the TAP tests don't.
> So? We clearly document that for the TAP tests, "make installcheck"
> means "use the installed executables, but run a new instance" [1].

I think we were probably a bit shortsighted about that. But what's done
is done. I wonder if there is a simple way we could turn it off for the
buildfarm?

>> Moreover, from the buildfarm's POV
>> it's completely wrong, as we call the installcheck targets multiple
>> times, once for each configured locale. See one of the animals that
>> tests multiple locales (e.g. crake or prion)
> Yeah. That's productive if you think the tests might be
> locale-sensitive. I doubt that any of the ones under src/test/modules/
> actually are at the moment, so maybe this is a waste of buildfarm effort.
> But I don't think that it's the place of the Makefiles to dictate such
> policy, and especially not for them to do so by breaking the ability to
> use "make installcheck" at all.
>
> regards, tom lane
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/regress-tap.html

Right now the explicit TAP test code in the buildfarm knows how to collect all the relevant output. The installcheck code doesn't know about that for TAP tests.

I get that developers want to be able to run tests in a small number of commands, but for the buildfarm I generally favor more disaggregated tests. That way if test X fails it's much easier to focus on the problem. (related note: I'm working on breaking up the log text blobs which will also help focussing on the right area).

Maybe we need to take the discussion to -hackers.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan https://www.2ndQuadrant.com