Re: pgsql: Provide a TLS init hook

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Provide a TLS init hook
Date: 2020-03-26 20:31:06
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 3/26/20 11:31 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>>> I don't think this belongs in installcheck, we should add
>>> 'NO_INSTALLCHECK = 1' to the Makefile.

>> Why? The other src/test/modules/ modules with TAP tests do not
>> specify that, with the exception of commit_ts which has a solid
>> doesnt-work-in-the-default-configuration excuse.

> That seems wrong, installcheck should be testing against an installed
> instance, and the TAP tests don't.

So? We clearly document that for the TAP tests, "make installcheck"
means "use the installed executables, but run a new instance" [1].

> Moreover, from the buildfarm's POV
> it's completely wrong, as we call the installcheck targets multiple
> times, once for each configured locale. See one of the animals that
> tests multiple locales (e.g. crake or prion)

Yeah. That's productive if you think the tests might be
locale-sensitive. I doubt that any of the ones under src/test/modules/
actually are at the moment, so maybe this is a waste of buildfarm effort.
But I don't think that it's the place of the Makefiles to dictate such
policy, and especially not for them to do so by breaking the ability to
use "make installcheck" at all.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/regress-tap.html