Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams

From: "Rafael Martinez" <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Thom Brown" <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Marc Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date: 2010-07-04 18:49:33
Lists: pgsql-docs

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> Seems like a good one.  But I'd still like to know the answer to the
>>> question I asked upthread - how is anyone supposed to generate images
>>> this way?
>>
>> Hmm, judging from
>> http://live.gnome.org/Dia
>>
>> the answer is that .dia files aren't meant to be human readable but only
>> to be a storage format for WYSIWYG editing.  I find this less than
>> thrilling: it essentially means you *can't* edit the images any other
>> way than using dia.  (I'd bet a nickel that any small change results in
>> massive changes in the file contents, too, which will be un-fun for
>> keeping them in a VCS.)
>
> Anyone know of any other alternatives we could investigate?

All this was tested and sent to the list in april 2010. Check this post for more
information:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-docs/2010-04/msg00038.php

As you can see, any small change does not result in massive changes in the file
contents.

--
Rafael Martinez, <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
University of Oslo, Norway

PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/