Fwd: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan

From: "Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date: 2008-02-10 03:51:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 9, 2008 4:58 PM, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> I wonder if the efforts to provide mirrors for many different systems can hurt later down the road. It is pretty obvious that amost every current system has options to convert from or to mirror a CVS repository. But what if we someday really want to use something else as the master repository? Are we ready to accept losing unsupported mirrors at that time, or will that actually influence the choice (I think that it should not ... but I can hear the outcry already).

The primary reason for a "hue and cry" to happen would require several
prerequisites:

0. An SCM would be chosen to replace CVS. Let us identify it as SCM1

1. The ones hueing and crying would have chosen an SCM, SCM2, that
was different from SCM1, and, furthermore, one where there isn't any
"tailor"[1] available to permit translation of patches between them.
(I'm not sure that any of the options that people are thinking about
*aren't* on tailor's supported list...)

2. There is a further requirement for this lead to a "hue and cry"
that needs to be listened to, namely that some complex and
non-migratable processes have been set up that depend on SCM2.

I think we can avoid this by declaring up front that its a Really Dumb
Idea to set up complex processes that depend on a particular
alternative SCM without the nice big fat caveat that "The PGDG has not
committed to migrating to any particular SCM at this time. Depend on
such at your peril!"

[1] Tailor <http://progetti.arstecnica.it/tailor> is a tool to
migrate changesets between ArX, Bazaar, Bazaar-NG, CVS, Codeville,
Darcs, Git, Mercurial, Monotone, Perforce, Subversion and Tla
repositories. It's "two-way" for a number of them...
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results." -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling