Re: Tab completion for ALTER INDEX|TABLE ALTER COLUMN SET STATISTICS

From: Tatsuro Yamada <yamada(dot)tatsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tab completion for ALTER INDEX|TABLE ALTER COLUMN SET STATISTICS
Date: 2018-11-28 02:27:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018/11/26 11:05, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached patches are following:
>
> * tab_completion_alter_index_set_statistics.patch
>     - Add column name completion after ALTER COLUMN
>     - Avoid schema completion after SET STATISTICS
>
> * fix_manual_of_alter_index.patch
>     - ALTER INDEX ALTER COLUMN syntax is able to use not only
>       column number but also column name. So, I fixed the manual.
>
> * tab_completion_alter_table_set_statistics.patch
>     - Avoid schema completion after SET STATISTICS

I couldn't write patches details on previous email, so I write
more explanation for that on this email.

* tab_completion_alter_index_set_statistics.patch
=======
There are two problems. You can use these DDL before testing.
#create table hoge (a integer, b integer);
#create index ind_hoge on hoge (a, (a + b), (a * b));

1) Can't get column names

# alter index ind_hoge alter column <tab!><tab!>... but can't complete.

2) I expected column names for column numbers after "SET STATISTICS", but
tab-completion gave schema names

# alter index ind_hoge alter column expr SET STATISTICS <tab!>
information_schema. pg_catalog. pg_temp_1. pg_toast. pg_toast_temp_1. public.

Applied the patch:

1) We can get column names after "alter column".

# alter index ind_hoge alter column <tab!>
a expr expr1

2) Fix!
# alter index ind_hoge alter column expr SET STATISTICS <tab!>
=======

* fix_manual_of_alter_index_v2.patch (Attached on this email)
=======
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-alterindex.html

The patch fixes the syntax on above manual.
s/column_number/column_number \| column_name/
And also it adds an explanation for column_name.

Syntax of ALTER INDEX ALTER COLUMN SET STATISTICS on the manual is below:

ALTER INDEX [ IF EXISTS ] name ALTER [ COLUMN ] column_number
SET STATISTICS integer

But we can use not only column number but also column name like this:

# alter index ind_hoge alter column 2 SET STATISTICS 100;
ALTER INDEX
# alter index ind_hoge alter column expr SET STATISTICS 100;
ALTER INDEX
=======

* tab_completion_alter_table_set_statistics.patch
=======
For now, we can get schema name by tab-completion. It is not appropriate.

# alter table hoge alter column a set statistics <tab!>
information_schema. pg_catalog. pg_temp_1. pg_toast. pg_toast_temp_1. public.

Applied the patch:

# alter table hoge alter column a set statistics <tab!>
=======

Any feedback is welcome. :)

Thanks,
Tatsuro Yamada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix_manual_of_alter_index_v2.patch text/x-patch 3.0 KB