Re: safelly erasing dirs/files

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Joao Ferreira gmail <joao(dot)miguel(dot)c(dot)ferreira(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: safelly erasing dirs/files
Date: 2009-11-14 19:19:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Joao Ferreira gmail <
joao(dot)miguel(dot)c(dot)ferreira(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> How can I safelly erase (with rm command in Linux) files or dirs
> concerning a specific database ?

Using 'rm', you can't -- not safely anyways.

> assuming I whish to elimiante data belonging to database A but I do not
> whish to disturb or cause any injury to database B

Login to database B and type: 'DROP DATABASE A;' That will drop the whole
database. If you just want to delete certain tables within the database,
then you should login to database A and use: 'DROP TABLE tablename'

> Is there documentation on how to do this or on what exactly am I erasing
> if I remove some specific file or dir.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-dropdatabase.html

--Scott