Re: Press Release Draft - 2016-02-09 Cumulative Update

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Press Release Draft - 2016-02-09 Cumulative Update
Date: 2017-02-08 22:31:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/7/17 9:37 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Below is the draft of the press release for the update this Thursday:

Thanks for the work on this!

11 There existed a race condition if CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY was
called on a column that had not been indexed before, then rows that were
updated by transactions running at the same time as the CREATE INDEX
CONCURRENTLY command could have been indexed incorrectly.

I think that'd read better as

11 There existed a race condition /where/ if CREATE INDEX
CONCURRENTLY was called on a column that had not been indexed before,
then rows that were updated by transactions running at the same time as
the CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY command /may not/ have been indexed
incorrectly.

Also, maybe we should mention that there's no way to test for this, and
make a stronger suggestion to redo any affected indexes?

20 These release contains several fixes to improve the stability of
visible data and WAL logging that we wish to highlight here.

I think this sentence can just go. If we want to keep it, IMHO this is a
better alternative: "This release contains several improvements to the
stability of data visibility and WAL logging."

22 Prior to this release, data could be prematurely pruned by a
vacuum operation when a special snapshot used for catalog scans was
presently available.

... vacuum operation even though a special catalog scan snapshot was in use.

BTW, I don't know what came out of the discussion of git references in
release notes, but I'd find it useful to be able to at least get a
complete list. Not hard for me to do that since I know git and our
naming scheme, but maybe we should include directions for doing so?
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)