Re: Fix help option of contrib/oid2name

From: Tatsuro Yamada <yamada(dot)tatsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fix help option of contrib/oid2name
Date: 2018-08-21 03:26:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018/08/20 17:38, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 03:51:07PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
>> On 2018/08/20 13:54, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Therefore, "-P" is a manual bag. I investigated more using git log command and
>> understood followings:
>>
>> 1. -P option was removed on 4192f2d85
>> 2. -P option revived in only the manual on 2963d8228
>
> Bruce did that to keep a trace of it in the docs, let's nuke it then, we
> don't handle it and the documentation is mentioning the thing as
> deprecated since 2010.

Yep, right.
I see, and will remove -P option's explanation from the manual.

>> For now, I'm not sure about TAP test but I knew both utilities have no
>> regression tests. It would be better to use something tests.
>
> If you don't add them, I think that I would just that myself, just to
> have some basics. Not that it is a barrier for this patch anyway.

Hmm...
As long as I've come this far, I'll do it through.

BTW, can I add the patch to the Commitfest September?
The patch includes improvements and bug fix as you know, So, I can divide the
patch into 2 patches for that.

Which one is better to create, 2 patches or 1 patch?
I summed up fixes of oid2name and vacuumlo so far, the next patch will include
following stuffs:

oid2name
bug fix
- Remove "-P password" option from the document

improvements
- Divide "Options section" into "Options" and "Connection Options" sections in
the help message (--help)
- Add long options only for Connection options (-d, -H, -h, -p and -U)
- Add "-H host" and "-h host" options to the help message and the document
- Add environment variable (PGHOST, PGPORT and PGUSER) to the document
- Add TAP tests for checking command-line options

vacuumlo
improvements
- Add long options only for Connection options (-h, -p and -U)
- Add environment variable (PGHOST, PGPORT and PGUSER) to the document
- Add TAP tests for checking command-line options

Thanks,
Tatsuro Yamada